Recipe: King Ranch Chicken

I made this tonight and it was super good!! I didn’t expect it to taste as good as it actually did!
I adapted it from this King Ranch Chicken.

Ingredients:
Corn tortilla chips (I didn’t have tortillas)
2 chicken breasts
chili powder
2 cans of cream of mushroom
1 onion diced
1/2 green bell pepper diced
Can of rotel, drained (keep juice on side)
4 hot jalapeno sliced, diced small
Cheddar cheese and Mozzarella cheese
3 tablespoons of sour cream

In a skillet cook the chicken breasts covered in chili powder…cook til done and set aside, shred when cooled.
In same skillet, cook onions and peppers until tender, pour in the rotel, two cans of cream of mushroom…cook until heated, and then put in shredded chicken…add more chili powder if needed. I also added a touch of cumin.
In a casserole dish crunch up a thin layer of tortilla chips on the bottom OR use corn tortillas and make a layer.
Pour the juice from the rotel over this so it softens the chips..I’m not sure I would do that if using tortillas.
Pour 1/2 of the mixture from your skillet over top.
Put a sparse layer of cheese, and then another layer of corn tortilla/chips.
Add the other 1/2 of mixture from skillet on top of that.
Then put the sour cream, and smooth out over top of that.
Then cover in cheese.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20 min.

Next time I will use tortillas, or maybe even fill the tortillas and roll them up, kind of like an enchilada casserole…but it was still SO good. My husband loved it and he doesn’t like a lot of Mexican food. My sister loved it and she doesn’t like green peppers.Photobucket

Comments

1. Jewely Bug says:

Mmm that sounds yummy! Thanks! 🙂

2. cheryl lister says:

If I read this correctly, 4 jalapenos might be a bit too much for my family, but I always like to include at least one for a little heat. Like your idea of tortilla chips in place of tortillas.

3. md kennedy says:

What an interesting recipe! I will try t with seitan instead of chicken this week for our Meatless Monday!

4. Sherry Compton says:

These sounds really good. I love baked chicken with cream of mushroom soup baked in adding the rotel and peppers sounds like a zesty bonus. I like spicy foods and what a great way to give the chicken some pow!

5. like the addition of the chips

6. Rebecca Parsons says:

This actually looks good. I have heard of king chicken and i think with the corn tortilla chips it would be just as good if not better.

7. Deborah D says:

This really looks good. I am pinning this so I have it. Thanks for posting this.

8. This sounds super yummy and way easy to make. Thank you for sharing with us.

9. I have never heard of King Ranch Chicken but this sounds delicious, I can’t wait to try it. Thank you for sharing this recipe.

10. I am going to try this one, is it real hot and what was your choice of rotel? Did you use the milk or original? Maybe you chose the hot one, not sure but the hot one is pretty hot I think. Thanks for sharing Darci!

11. artizzanne says:

This sounds very tasty to me. I would have to adjust a few ingredients in order to make it for my family (they don’t like mushrooms, peppers, etc.). I always say, “Then pick them out,” but that doesn’t always go over well. Thanks for sharing.

12. Deborah D says:

This sounds so good. I just have to get all the ingredients to make it.

This sounds so good. A great chicken recipe for my family. I like making different recipes for my family to keep meals interesting. Thank you so much for sharing

This was such a great recipe for my family. We eat alot of chicken so having new recipes helps us out. Thank you for this great recipe