Recipe: Sweet Tea

I have had a couple people ask me recently how I make sweet tea, and I just recently made a pitcher since the weather has been in the mid 70s. Now that the weather is nice out, I LOVE sitting outside with a glass of it. Here is how I make mine…

IceTea

Ingredients:
4 family size tea bags, I use Luzianne in the red box
1 1/2 cups of sugar (I know I know that’s a lot)
Water
Medium sized sauce pan
Gallon size pitcher

You must follow these exact or your tea will be bitter!
Fill sauce pan with water, leave about 2 inches to the top.
Add in the sugar, and put on burner on high.
Stir sugar to dissolve.
Once the water is boiling remove from the burner and thrown in your tea bags.
Immediately put a tight lid on it, and move to a cold burner and let steep for at least 20 min.
Pour into a gallon jug, and fill the rest with cold water and refrigerate.
Drink within 2 days or it starts tasting different.

The key is making that simple syrup with water and sugar, and NOT letting the water boil with the tea bags in it. If you boil it with the tea bags in it, it will be bitter.

Comments

1. I’m going to try this tomorrow! Thanks!

2. Hey Darci,
    I can’t get my blog URL to work on here. Do you know what I’m doing wrong? I just type in the URL I type when I go to my page.

3. I have no idea what you’re asking me…I even read that to my husband and he said that didn’t make any sense lol

4. Hey please delete these posts Ok? I will try to figure out what is going on. Thanks!

5. It was the comment I left, my name should link to my site, but it doesn’t.

6. What is your website?? You should be able to just write out the address like http://www.everythingmommyhood.com
    Is that not what you are doing?

7. Well, my site is http://www.pursuitofhappinesstakestime.blogspot.com and it won’t link… it says it’s available. Try typing it in your URL box in the browser like this…
    pursuitofhappinesstakestime.blogspot.com

8. Sounds like there is a setting you don’t have correct to make it live…you need to go in your settings, and check the publishing tab maybe…
    Are you sure that’s the correct URL? You didn’t by a domain or anything to link it to did you?

9. Yeah, it’s the URL. Haven’t purchased one yet, although I would love to. I noticed when I hovered over your name, your link has numbers in it. Mine doesn’t. I am logged into my site now to see if there’s a code I am to use. I wouldn’t think so though. I have to get this fixed.

10. Yeah but that just links to my profile, not my blog….so you might have to go to your profile to fix whatever that’s doing.

11. Yeah… I am new to this blogging thing. I hope my learning curve isn’t huge! What happens when you click on my name at the top of these comments?

12. Ok yeah, you need to edit your profile for one…and for two, for some reason your blog isn’t being allowed to view publicly. I would google that…”Blog isn’t being viewed publicly”

13. Ok Thanks! I will see what I can do. I’m sorry for all the irrelevant comments on here, can you delete them?

14. Well I feel stupid. Sheesh. I gave you the wrong word… it’s not time it’s work… pursuitofhappinesstakeswork.blogspot.com Can you see this??

15. Let me leave the site in the comment signature

16. marissa lee says:

i love sweet tea..this is one of the drinks i’m making this weekend…thank you for sharing.

17. Maria Iemma says:

My family’s favorite is Sweet Tea. Thank you so much for your tried and true recipe.

18. Julie M. says:

I am always searching for a good sweet tea recipe. Very excited to give this one a try! Thanks for posting and here’s hoping it becomes my new go to sweet tea recipe!!!

19. Lynda Thomas says:

I am so glad to have found this recipe! My dad LOVES sweet tea, but I don’t drink tea, so I never know how to make it for him. Also, he just usually throws it together without following any sort of guideline, so sometimes it’s better than others. I will give him this recipe so he can make it taste good every time! 🙂

20. Debbie Welchert says:

I love sweet tea and this is a wonderful easy recipe to make. This will be great for the 4th of July. I know I will have to make more than one pitcher of this.

21. cheryl lister says:

I just recently tasted sweet tea and was amazed how good it was! Thanks for the recipe. I would have just brewed tea, then added sugar. I see the key to making the simple syrup.

22. Cassandra Kelton says:

I love sweet tea. This sounds like a good way to make sure it is made right every time.

23. md kennedy says:

It DOES seem like a lot of sugar—maybe I’ll sub 1/2 with Stevia.

24. shana vaughn says:

You can never go wrong with a glass of sweet tea!

25. karol day says:

I use the splenda/sugar blend and it cuts down on calories. It is the one that is made for baking

26. I don’t often make sweet tea but I’ll have to try this for my husband

27. Linda Meyers-Gabbard says:

Who doesn’t like sweet tea.

Love it.myself

28. rebeccabasset says:

I have never melted the Sugar in the Water before such a good idea.

Thanks for the post and the recipe!

29. This sounds easy and super yummy. Thanks for the recipe!

30. Howell W. says:

You’re right… That IS a lot of sugar! XD

But you’re also right that it’s easy. I’ll have to make a pitcher of it this week. 🙂

31. nancy scaggs says:

never would have thought to put the sugar in before the tea.. interesting. I got to try that

32. Rebecca Parsons says:

This would be great for the peaches and tea recipe I have.

33. I love sweet tea! I am definitely going to have to make this at my next gathering! Thank you for sharing!

34. LOL! Being from the south we are born knowing how to make sweat tea. Never seen a recipe for it.

35. great simple recipe

36. Southern girl here. Sweet tea was the first thing I ever learned to make, haha. BUT I’ve never tried it this way. Totally going to!

37. I made a sweat tea tonight! Yum!

38. Jessica Strudthoff says:

I never add the sugar in while it is still on the stove. I have heard of adding a bit of baking soda though.

39. Emily Hardman says:

I make this adding baking soda, it really gives it a “smooth” taste. I was skeptical at first but it really is good!

40. My mama makes her sweet tea like this, only she uses a big ole coffee mug full of sugar instead of measuring it. However, I bet it is close to the same amount!

41. Therese Prendergast -Rooney says:

I love sweet tea. Thank you for sharing your recipe. Now I can make it myself, instead of buying a gallon. This will save me money.

42. Always on the lookout for the perfect sweet tea! I use
    luzianne too, though its a challenge to find her in California !

43. Tina Tapia says:

I LOVE sweet tea! I have never tried the brand you named. I usually stick to Lipton. I’m definitely going to make some tonight but replace the sugar with honey instead. Thanks for your recipes!

44. Marcia Lee says:

I live on sweet tea but I have never made it this way. I will give this a try. Thank you!

45. Piper Leigh says:

I LOVE sweet tea, but haven’t made it home this way. I will for sure need to give it a try for something different. Thanks for the recipe!

46. We’ve been looking for a sugar to tea ratio for a while now. We’ve been “guessing” and used a few different ratios from Pinterest and nothing has been great so far. I’m excited to try this one out!

47. I love iced teas. Especially Lipton lemon flavored.

48. Samantha Powell says:

My husband is from the south so we keep sweet tea in out fridge at all times. Did you know there are now gallon size bags from Lipton? I bag per gallon!

49. Sherry Compton says:

I come from a big family of tea drinkers. We have to have both sweet and unsweet at our get-togethers. I know several members who wouldn’t think it’s a lot of sugar at all. 🙂

50. Gale McCarron says:

Is there anything better than a tall cold glass of sweet tea? I’m not from the South but I tip my hat to those who are and drink this delicious tea daily. Lucky you!

51. So simple! It’s great to know the secret of making this just right is making the sugar syrup first and then steeping the tea bags in afterwards.

52. Christina Kelbel says:

I have made this before with flavored teas and lots of lemon. Less sugar!

53. Caitlin G. says:

Wow that is alot of sugar but I love sweet tea!

54. Mary Mosier says:

I love sweet tea, I’ll have to make some of this… right now !!

55. I love sweet tea. I especially like Lipton lemon flavored ice tea in a jug. I’ll try this. Thanks.

56. I love tea! Thank you for this delicious recipe!

57. I love my tea but I’ve never heard of making it this way. I’ll give it a shot!

58. I use eight single serve cheapie tea bags, put a pot of water on just below medium heat and leave it for at least 5 minutes. After that I take the tea bags out of the pot and put into a tea pitcher 3/4 full of cold water. I put in 1 – 1 1/2 cups sugar (depending on if my husband will be drinking it) into the pot, then turn the heat off. At this point take each tea out and squeeze (they will bust easily so be careful!). Throw the tea bags away. Now stir the pot until sugar is completely dissolved and none is left stuck to the bottom. Pour the brew into the pitcher and add water to reach gallon mark. I’ve discovered that making it this way, I can make the tea for approx 25-30 cent a gallon!

59. I have been try to find the right sweetness for my tea and just can seen to found the right amount. I also put the surge in when the tea is cold to so that might be one thing that I’m doing wrong Thank you and Carrie M. for how to make so great tasting tea.

60. Sweet tea in the summer is so good. I like it with lots of ice, lemon or some peach in it.

Although I make Iced tea every few days I do not make it this sweet. However I am very glad to have the instructions on how to steep it and I shall see how this makes a difference in the way my tea tastes.

62. Deborah D says:

i make iced tea once a week and never thought of making the simple syrup separate from when I boil the the tea bags. I will have to try this. Thanks for the tip.

I didn’t realize how big family size tea bags were until I purchased them to try your tea, They are really double tea bags attached together. I would add fresh lemon juice to my tea because that is the way i LIKE IT.

64. I love sweet tea. I make mine really sweet like this but when my in laws come over I make mine with Splenda. I make it so sweet that my FIL always thinks it is real sugar (they are diabetic and cannot have sugar). They usually drink the whole pitcher.

65. M.Clark says:

I didn’t know that boiling the water with the tea bags in it makes it taste bitter (although I don’t do that, I always remove the water from the heat before adding my tea bag). These are great instructions, thank you for sharing!!

66. I have a son-in-law and grandson that absolutely love sweet tea but have always just purchased at the store. Thanks for sharing a recipe to try for them

67. nancyfancypink says:

I know this recipe was posted a while ago, but I have been looking for a way to make real southern sweet tea that I enjoyed in my childhood. It is so different the way people make it here in Maryland! Real southern tea is made like this recipe! the sugar has to go in early, during or before the steeping. Thanks for the recipe!

68. M.Clark says:

Sweet Iced Tea is perfect for cooling off during these hot summer months. I’ve been drinking iced tea every day. Thank you for sharing this recipe.

69. I love sweet tea ! i am making some over the weekend.

70. Nothing like a great glass of sweet tea when it is so hot out. Thank you for this great recipe