How to Clean Your Dishwasher

This is a guest posting from one of my blog contributors. All opinions are those of our own and were not influenced in any way.

dishwasher

How To Clean Your Dishwasher
All kitchen gadgets make our lives easier but they do need the occasional bit of maintenance. For example, a dishwasher can easily turn a mess into a bundle of joy with its state-of-the-art cleaning features, but they also need to be cleaned themselves once in a while. Otherwise, the device can start to get drab on the outside and unclean on the inside – which will end up affecting its performance in the long run.

External Maintenance
Dishwashers all get some build-up of dirt on the outside. In order to keep yours in good condition, all that you need to do is to wipe down the front with a soapy cloth. Refrain from using disinfectant wipes because they may spread germs instead of eradicate them.

Bear in mind also that most of the mentioned home appliance are recessed under a work surface. Take the time to pull it out once or twice a year and also wipe down the top and the sides.

Internal Maintenance
After you have run the dishwasher’s normal cycle, remove all of the contents. This means the racks, too, which can be cleaned in the sink in hot soapy water. Some cleaning devices have a build up of scum at the bottom which is part of their design. Use a kitchen paper towel to remove this and simply dump it in the bin. If the dishwasher has a grate or a filter at the bottom, then use warm water to clean it thoroughly. A watering can from the garden can be a helpful tool to use for this job.

Soak a damp cloth in vinegar or lemon juice and use it to wipe along the entire circumference of the washer’s door seal. This will help to remove any bits that have become lodged there and to get rid of unwanted limescale. Hard water deposits cause this scale to build up, so it is a good idea to run the machine without any contents but with a couple of cups of vinegar added to the bottom of the floor. Use a low heat or energy saving program.

In conclusion, all devices like this should be inspected regularly as well as cleaned to maintain them. Don’t put lots of dishes with fat on them into the machine. Try to get into the habit of cleaning on a regular basis for the best results. It’s super important to keep your dishwasher in tip top shape to be able to clean your dishes thoroughly.

Comments

1. Thank you so much for sharing this. I have never thought to do all of this

2. Michael W Perkins says:

We check the filter & maintain once every few months

3. Kelly Faber says:

Too bad our dish washer is out of commission! Ours is leaking water in the wall 🙁 These are all good maintenance points though for the future…A lot of people do not maintain their dishwashers!

4. These are great tips for cleaning your dishwasher. It’s a good idea for first time dishwasher owners to read a post like this one to understand the proper care of their dishwasher. Thank you for sharing this post.

5. Thanks for the tips! We just cleaned our dishwasher as we just replaced the heating element, but I will remember this advice for next time!

6. Renee Smith says:

Thanks for the great tips. This is so helpful. I must admit it’s been a while since we cleaned ours.

7. I need to do this more often. It can get pretty gross! Thanks for the tips!

8. I wish I had a dishwasher. There’s only two of us so it’s not too big a deal.

9. Someday I’ll get a dishwasher (other than myself) and remember to do this for it.

slehan at juno dot com

10. Sarah Oswald says:

I always thought you just had to run vinegar through once a month to clean your dishwasher, I never really thought about the door seal and we have hard well water which makes things harder to clean. Thanks for sharing these tips on cleaning a dishwasher I will have to try them out!!

11. Thank you so much for sharing “How To Clean Your Dishwasher”! I never thought about it much but I know exactly what you mean! I Will Surely Clean Mine out this way! I’m going to put the day I cleaned it on the calendar so I can remember to do it every month! Thanks for the great Information! Michele

12. Dorothy Teel says:

Thank you very valuable information, my mom told me years ago to run a load of vinegar through my dishwasher about every three months will help get rid of odors and help with spots, and I like this idea, I have never pulled mine out as it is screwed to the counter, but this would be important to do thank you again

13. Dont ya just love vinegar ! There are so many uses for it! I read a long time ago that Tang, you know that breakfast drink, was good to run through the dishwasher to clean it. Also lemon juice. Great article ! Thanks for sharing!

14. Debbie Welchert says:

Thanks for the great tips. I will be trying out the vinegar on my dishwasher tonight. I never thought to try vinegar to clean my dishwasher and like this idea.

15. Michael W Perkins says:

Threw a washing on the dishwasher last night, doing great

16. DIDNT KNOW AL THIS –THANKS FOR SHARING…..

17. Nichole Gubler says:

Thanks so much for this information! I’m going to do this today!

18. pumpkinsfan76 says:

Thank you for sharing this information. I always wondered how to do this.

19. Heather O'Neill says:

It’s really silly to me sometimes to think of cleaning things if the machine’s job is to clean something (like the dishwasher and the washing machine), so I always appreciate the reminder and tips. Thanks for sharing. A lot of sites have cleaning solutions, but some of them have never mentioned your tips!

It is very important to clean the exterior and interior of the dishwasher from time to time. I was not aware of your tip about not using disinfectant wipes.

21. jamienix13 says:

I’ll have to try this. Thanks for sharing! Too bad cleaning the microwave couldn’t be this simple!

22. Thank you for this information we have been trying to figure out a way to clean our dishwasher without leaving streaks. I can’t wait to try this today this is extremely helpful and takes away some of my cleaning worries today.

23. Rebecca Parsons says:

I think wiping ours down daily is something I have always done. I usually do this right after I put a load in the wash. I have never thought about wiping the inside down like that. Will do that now.

24. laurie nykaza says:

Wonderful tips to keep it clean! Now I will do mine today following your instructions. Mine is getting old so I will need to replace it this next year. This should help it out till I do.

25. We just purchased a dishwasher so definitely will be following these tips!

26. Ugh I needed this.. I rent a house would hate to have replace a dishwasher lol

27. Thanks for the great tips! Honestly, I’ve never cleaned the dishwasher thoroughly. I didn’t think to do it! I’ve never had one before.