Guest Post Recipe: Sausage & Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash

SausageStuffed

Hey everyone! Fall is upon us and squash is every where it seems. I was talking with Reesa over at Momma Lew, and we wanted to share her recipe on my blog, so check out this guest post recipe! If you have time, make sure you stop by MommaLew and check out her other posts and yummy recipes. She has a ton of great info on her blog that I know you will love. One of my other favorite recipes on her blog that is a must eat is her Steamed Seafood Boil. I promise you won’t be disappointed, now read on below and check out this yummy Sausage and Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash recipe that’s perfect for Fall!

This time of the year, a variety of squash are abundant at every farm and market. We love squash, but it seems that many of my friends and readers have no idea how to cook it. Guess what? It’s simple and easy! The hardest part for me is slicing my squash in half. Squash and sausage are the perfect pair a delicious Fall dinner.

Sausage & Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash How to Prepare the Squash:

• Slice your Acorn Squash in half. Scoop out the center, removing the seeds.
  • Pour about 2 tbsp of olive oil on a cookie sheet.
  • Season your squash with salt and pepper and lay cut side down on the cookie sheet.
  • Cook approximately 30 minutes, until the squash is tender and soft.

Stuffing Recipe:

• Dice half of a large onion & 1 stalk of celery. Cook until soft and translucent in 1 tbsp of olive oil.
  • Remove from the pan to keep from burning.
  • Add about 1lb of ground sausage and brown.
  • Dice 1 large apple and add to the pan. Add the onion and celery back into the pan.
  • Cook 1 cup of white rice (I used Minute Steamed Frozen White Rice) and add that to the mixture.
  • Season with 1/2 tbsp of pumpkin spice and salt & pepper to taste.

Sausage & Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash

Sausage & Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash

After your squash is finished roasting, it is time to stuff it! Fill the centers with your stuffing mix. Place back into your oven and roast for an additional 10-15 minutes so that the flavors meld together.

Sausage & Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash

Sausage & Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash

Now get in your kitchen and make it!!

Don’t forget to pin on your pinterest page to save for later!

Comments

1. This looks so good. A complete meal that I could enjoy. Thank you for sharing

2. I like this recipe. We always want to try different recipes. Thanks for the information.

3. I love squash and I’m always looking for different recipe ideas on how to prepare it. This sounds pretty good. I would probably use hot Italian sausage.

4. Maria Iemma says:

This is an awesome recipe, specially good in the fall. I will make it within the next week or so.

5. This sounds awesome. I keep getting acorn squash from my CSA and I wasn’t sure what to do with it.

6. I I think I could eat squash at every meal right now – this looks awesome!

7. What an interesting recipe. Like that is has sausage in it, sounds yummy!! Gonna have to try it out.

8. This looks absolutely divine. I love any kind of squash. I’m looking forward to trying this!!

9. This is soooo… appropo! Hubby/Honey came with me to the market (produce & meat) last Sunday and he personally added to the cart two items he really loves: Italian Sausage and Acorn Squash. I had originally thought of what I was going to do with each of them seperately ~ but now, ta da ~ what a perfect recipe to use both of them in (and I already (pretty much always) have all of the other ingredients on hand, so I definitely know what I’m going to be making for dinner tomorrow night… Thanks. Already pinned it: a perfect Autumn recipe!

Jesselyn A/Jesstinger

10. Those flavors would go great together. Thanks for the recipe.

11. Sarah Matos says:

Ive never used apples in anything other than a dessert. I will have to give this a try, looks appetizing!

12. This sounds great! Thank you for sharing this recipe with us.

13. TrippyCusp93 says:

YUMM! This sounds like such a savory and delicious Fall recipe. I’ve never actually had acorn squash before, but this recipe makes me want to give it a try. Thanks for sharing!

14. sounds delicious and I am going to make this.. but I don’t know if I missed something but on what temperature do I put the oven on? Thank you

15. We do the stuffed Acorn Squash with just the sausage never thought of the rice which would add so much more body to it. I might just have to add some next time we make a batch.

16. What temperature do you cook it at? 350? Thanks.

17. This sounds like a hit with my family. They love acorn squash

18. This is a great idea to stuff a squash (YUM) instead of the usual veggies that fall over or fall apart. Thanks!

19. Lisa Konieczke says:

I have finally tried acorn squash for the 1st time on Thanksgiving. It was really good… I never thought it would be and I dont know why. I really liked it though. Now I’m willing to try out different recipes using acorn squash. This recipe looks good too.

20. It’s a bit out of my comfort zone. But, I enjoy stuffed cabbage, and stuffed peppers so why not? I’ll never know unless I try it.

21. sherry butcher says:

This is so good! I use Turkey sausage when I can get it. TFS.

22. Ohh, this is delicious looking. I have never really been able to core out squash or any other vegetable properly to stuff it but I’m sure I could try it with this recipe. Nothing like living adventurously right?

Hubby hates squash but this sounds simply divine! Ill have to make him try it! Maybe it will turn him around on the whole squash hating 😉

24. This sounds so good!!!!!! Guess, I”ll wait until next year to make it.

25. This recipe looks amazingly delicious.I am going to try it out.
    I Love acorn squash,it is one of my favorite squashes.

26. Sherry Ann Abrams says:

I have never tried this squash but, I will try this recipe! It looks like a complete meal!

27. Laurie Nykaza says:

This stuffed squash looks so delicious love to try making it. My family would love this.

28. I have just bought an Acorn Squash and it looks absolutely delicious and I think I might make this and see if or how it comes out for me !! Thanks For Sharing 🙂

29. Love acorn squash! This recipe looks really good. Thanks for sharing.

30. I have about 6 acorn squash in our root cellar, I will be doing this! Thanks for the inspiration.

31. I DONT THINK I HAVE EVER HAD THIS,BUT IT SOUNDS GOOD ,THANKS FOR SHARING

32. I’m going to have to try this I love Egg Corn squash;I love every thing in it.Thanks sounds real GOOD!

33. Yum, this looks delicious, it would make a great dish for Thanksgiving. I can’t wait to give this a try, thank you for sharing this recipe.

34. Joanne Gregory says:

How could this be anything but delicious!! Pinned it to my food board and will give it a try this winter!

35. This is a great recipe for my family. Thank you so much for sharing this. I enjoy trying out some of your ideas

36. My family loves squash and this is so tasty. Thank you for sharing this great recipe

37. laura rubenstein says:

OMG This looks freaking amazing!! I am pinning this recipe and can’t wait to make it! 🙂

38. This is pretty tasy…but…I have to ask: where do you get gigantic acorn squash to fit all of this? That asked, add a pinch of red pepper flakes and some pepitas.

39. Wow this looks pretty darn good. I am going to make this!

40. I never thought of putting sausage with acorn squash, but it looks sooo good and has me wanting to make this soon!

41. Wow, that looks delicious. I wouldn’t have thought to put these ingredients together.

42. I can’t believe I’m saying this in April but it’s cold in Texas. So this is perfect meal, geeks like Fall. I got a few acorn squash and never have cooked with them but found this recipe and had to try it. It’s cooking it now and smells amazing. Since I’m from Texas, I just jalapeno cheese Italian sausage For a little spice 😉

43. I have never cooked with squash before. This looks really delicious. I will have to try this come autumn!

44. Oh my goodness! This looks so good! Great recipe!

45. This is about to go into the oven in two medium sized acorn and I still have enough stuffing to stuff at least two more. I agree with a March commenter with the question of where the abnormally large mutant acorn squash came from?

46. Oh and it smells divine!!! So it must taste just as good! 😉

47. Oh this sounds amazing and just in time for fall as well….Thank you for sharing.

48. Am I missing the oven temperature? What is it? 350?

49. I seriously want to make this this week here now that it’s getting so cool out! Delicious!

50. CHRISTINE C. says:

This was amazing. I cooked my acorn squash at 400. Found some pumpkin sugar spice at the local grocery store. So that was my pumpkin spice. I agree with 2 previous comments about a lot of stuffing left over. I guess if you get the regular acorn squash maybe do 2 instead of one.. definitely a fall must.

51. I have an acorn squash to try for the first time! This seems like an easy and delicious way to start! Thanks.

52. With the measurements given, approximately how many servings are in this and what is the portion sizes?
    TIA!

This was a big hit at my house. I will be making it again soon. Thank you again for sharing

54. David Fultner says:

I think I will love this . I love that it has it’s own bowl.

55. This was fantastic!

56. This is really good. Lots of filling. Could fill three medium squash, which gives you 6 servings. I cooked this at 400 and it turned out great.

57. Delish, but you forgot the maple syrup! Any fall/winger dish in Vermont has to have a touch of the golden nectar. Thank you!

58. Try substituting Trader Joe’s quinoa/ rice mix for the white rice…it is great in this recipe. I’ve also added some toasted pine nuts and/or add fresh spinach to the sausage mixture. Great fall recipe and nutritious too!!

59. I made this a few weeks ago together with a salad and some warm crusty bread and my family loved it! I don’t use pumpkin pie spice already made so I added a little of the spices individually and it was excellent. Thank you for the recipe.

60. do you mean pumpkin pie spice?

61. I’m making this recipe for the second time and can hardly wait to eat it, lol. The first time it was delicious. I used black rice in mine and topped the finished product with toasted almonds for a little crunch. Thank you for the comments about the temperature (400 was perfect for me) and the amount this recipe makes. And thank you for the recipe! It’s wonderful!

62. This was delicious! I made it with sage sausage instead of italian for a little different flavor. Can’t wait to make it again!!

63. We enjoyed it to but the recipe need to increase the baking time prior to stuffing.

64. what temperature do you cook this at?

65. What type of apple did you all use? Picture looks green, so Granny Smith??

These are so good. I will be making this again for Thanksgiving. Thank you again so much

67. Love acorn squash. Will try this.

68. Edna Williams says:

This looks interesting! I will definitely give it a try! Thanks for sharing!

69. Jodi Hunter says:

This looks so good, I will try it out for sure.

70. This is too adventurous for me. I never eat meat and fruit mixed. It just doesn’t seem right. I do enjoy squash. With the filling altered, this might be okay.

This is another great recipe for my eating healthy new year. It sounds so good. I can’t wait to try this. Thank you for sharing

72. KATE SARSFIELD says:

I’ve never seen a squash like this but I’m in Ireland where squashes & pumpkins etc are only now being introduced.

73. clojo9372 says:

Hmmm.. this is such a unique and different recipe. I have combined fruit and meat before but not sausage so that will be an interesting flavor combination. I look forward to giving this a shot! 🙂

74. Jerry Marquardt says:

This recipe for Sausage & Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash looks very delicious indeed. I copied the recipe down to make this on the coming week. I thank you for sharing the special recipe with us today.

75. This looks soooo delicious, I’ll have to give the recipe a try!