Tips to Be Fashionable & Environmentally Conscious Together

Tips to Be Fashionable and Environmentally Conscious Together

A guest post article from one of our contributors!

recycleAnyone who’s keen on protecting the planet knows how difficult it can be to find an outfit to wear that hasn’t be created through the use of toxic chemicals, child labor or other methods that have a negative environmental impact.

However, there are quite a lot of ways nowadays to stay fashionable while still helping out the environment. We’ve come up with a few tips for you to try out to give yourself a great new look whilst still staying green at the same time.

A good place to start is to find an Eco-friendly fashion brand. In the last few years it’s become quite fashionable for a lot of big name designers to provide consumers with environmentally friendly styles that promote awareness and help raise cash for charities.

A great example of this is the group Freedom of Animals, they create faux leather goods like purses and jackets that not only look fantastic but are comprised of 100% recycled items. They also use 70% less energy than other companies who stick to the standard leather treatment procedures which involves lots of toxic and hazardous chemicals that often leak into soil or surrounding areas.

Or you could check out Blue Q. This unique American fashion company uses 95% of recyclable items in their outfits. They use things like empty sacks of grains as dresses or old flour bags as printable T-shirts. Plus other than recyclable items they also donate at least 1% of their overall sales towards the Nature Conservancy Campaign. This program helps protect areas around the world from environmental damage.

Other than shopping for Eco-friendly fashion you could also try a few cheaper options like taking clothes that your friends are throwing out, like the old adage, one man’s trash is another one’s treasure. Another great option is to try buying second hand items from stores that donate to environmental charities.

Even the way you look after your clothes can help you be green. For example, you could try lowering your washing temperatures or wash your items less. Of course underwear and your socks need to be cleaned regularly but other items can be hung out to air overnight. If you need to use the dryer, use Woolzies dryer balls, we love them and use them every time we use the dryer. Another brand we love are Heart Felt wool dryer balls as well!

Finally, you could try giving what you have at home a new spin by making custom alterations to give your old clothes a brand new style instead of going out and buying even more. As you can see it’s actually pretty easy to be both environmentally conscious and fashionable. So if you’re interested in looking stylish while being green at the same time then why not try one of these clever options.

Thanks so much for reading our guest post article!

How are you environmentally friendly? Leave me a comment below!

Comments

1. I used dryer balls before and I loved them. I have to get more since they were well-used. I’ve also done alterations to my clothes or I have multiple tank tops and some over-shirts or cardigans to change up the outfits too!

2. These are some good ideas. I never gave it much thought before reading your article. Thank you for sharing.

3. I never give the fashion and enviornment much thought but after reading your review I’m curious to see what I can find and contribute to. Thanks for the insight!

4. I never gave a thought to altering my existing clothes! Thanks for the tip!

5. These are all great tips. I don’t use the dryer, I air dry. Thank you for sharing this great post, I found it very informative.

6. Michelle S says:

Thanks for sharing more than just what to do but what brands are actually worth looking at. Ironically, the dryer we purchased this year doesn’t allow for dryer sheets. I purchased dryer balls that work great.

7. Kasie Tillman says:

I’ve heard good things about dryer balls and really want to try them. My daughter has eczema so a chemical free option as these makes sense! I’m sure ita must better for her than the free and clear sheets we have been using since they still leave a residue.

8. Thanks so much for the Tips! I try not to use my dryer too much these days. I used to do laundry 3-4 times a week! Now I am only doing laundry 2x a week. I really never gave it a thought about the clothes you wear or buy and the environment. After reading your tips, however, I think I’m going to be a bit more careful in my choices. I generally do my clothes shopping at the Good Will Store where people have donated their unused clothes. I have also donated clothing to the Good Will as well! Thanks again for the terrific tips! I really do appreciate it and now I’ll be more aware! Thanks again, Michele 🙂

9. Jennifer Heintz says:

Thank you for putting on this guest post. I like the idea of being environmentally conscious, fashionable, and thrifty at the same time. Donating to Goodwill, and than going into their store to find “gently used” clothing for my grandchildren has been part of my routine. My next step is going to be trying the dryer balls.

10. Maria Iemma says:

I have to be honest and admit that I had never thought about fashion in an enviromental way. Interesting post.

11. Lisa Coomer Queen says:

Thanks for the tips. I do try to be green with my cleaning and I wash clothes green. I do donate clothes and even buy some clothes from several places that are used. I need to look for those companies thought that make the, Thanks so much.

12. shawna durk says:

Thank you for the great tips. We do use the dryer balls in our home. Recently I made a little laundry basket with gifts and hangers and baby safe laundry soap and dryer balls as a baby shower gift to my daughter.

13. laura rubenstein says:

I wish more people were environmentally conscious.This is a great article Thank you

14. These are all great ideas. I honestly never realized that one could be “green” when it comes to fashion. I am glad to have found this post and I will definitely try to be more environmentally conscious when it comes to clothes and dressing.

15. I never put much thought into this. We always try to buy items made in the U.S. when possible. Locally is even better. I do wash with cold water.I always think about recycling everyday items. I actually recycle more than I throw away. This is something to think about. Thanks for the post.

16. sherry butcher says:

never thought about fashion in an environmental way, lots I do is already on the list but I see room to improve from your review. TFS.

17. My mother comments that she has hand me ups –from me and then my sisters and I swap clothing too.

18. Empty grain sacks for dresses? That made me chuckle. It reminds me of an I love Lucy episode that was on the other day.I try to reuse just about anything that can be. We’ve been recycling for decades.