5 Ways to Improve Your Family’s Relationship

5 Ways to Improve Your familys relationship

Marriage, family, kids, yourself. Family life is always changing, everyone in the family is always going through something no matter the ages. A family’s relationship with one another is always work, just like marriage is something you must continuously work on. My husband and I have been together since 1999 (minus a few years for college) and we are best friends, we get along really well, and rarely have arguments, but they are still there. Now we are definitely not perfect, but I felt this was important to write out, so hopefully my post 5 ways to improve your family’s relationship will help you in some way.

We are always working with one another and our kids to build strong relationships. We both came from broken homes where our parents weren’t together, so we have always said we don’t want our kids to grow up without both parents together in a loving home. I just wanted to share 5 tips I have to improve your family’s relationships.

1. One on one time. It’s so very important to spend time with just one child and give them that attention. Our girls are 3 and 6, and our 6 year old is a Daddy’s girl and our 3 year old is a Mommy’s girl. We make a point to get the 3 year old to have one on one time with Daddy, and the 6 year old to have one on one time with Mommy. It really helps build that relationship with each kid. Whether it’s running to the store together, going out for frozen yogurt, or the park, it’s imperative to spend that time together and apart from the rest of the family.

Spend One on One time

2. Date night. Now this is tied into the one on one time, but with your significant other. One of the most important things about being together is having that time for your significant other. You need to make time for each other. We get so caught up in our careers, online friendships, social media, etc. that it’s easy to push your partner to the side. They need to be a priority before your careers (to an extent), online friendships, social media, etc. Make time each week for a date night. That doesn’t mean you need to get a babysitter and go out of the house, because not all of us can do that (I’m one of those). Just ordering take out and watching a movie after the kids go to bed can help you and your partner have that one on one time.

3. Family dinners. Growing up I always wanted to be that family who were all together at dinner. Sitting at the dining room table, eating dinner and talking about our day. I didn’t have that unfortunately, and I really think it’s so important. We make a point to have a family dinner every night, sitting at the same table with no distractions. Put away the cell phones, tablets, and turn the TV off. Pay attention to one another and communicate with each other. Ask questions, enjoy each others company.

4. Family time. Spend time together as a family. Whether it’s playing outside together in the sprinkler, going to the farmer’s market, going to an event, or the park. Spending time together as a family is important. One of our favorite’s is to have a family movie night every other week or so. We will have a take out dinner and then watch a family friendly movie together. During the summer you can ride bikes together, have a family game night, or play with chalk out on the driveway together. There’s so many things you can do with your family, together.

5. Vacation. Whether it’s just for the weekend or something more extravagant, take a vacation. I know not a lot of people can just plan something spontaneously and do it, but you can plan for it as well. (Check out The 52 Week Challenge) We usually plan a vacation a once a year, and take a couple spontaneous vacations too. You can plan a cruise (we went in Sept 2013 and it was $900 for our family of 4 for 4 days), head to somewhere you may have a place to stay to help save on costs (we flew to San Diego and stayed with my grandparents for 10 days in Nov 2014, $1400 for plane tickets & $300 for a rental car), or go somewhere entirely different. It’s important to have that time to unplug from all of your familiar surroundings and spend a few days together.

Vacation

Again, my family isn’t perfect, and we are always working on our relationship with one another, but these are 5 ways to improve your family’s relationship that works for us. All 5 may not work for you, and that’s okay, but hopefully one of them will give you an idea of something that will! After all, family is your life, and you all deserve to be happy!

What are ways you and your family connect? Do you have any more tips?

I’d love to hear them!!!

Comments

1. These are some important ideas – if you don’t spend time together – and you have to make sure to spend time with your husband as best you can. Even if it is just having a dinner together at home or having a short break during the day for a quick lunch, etc. Thanks for this!

2. This all sounds good -great ideas. I know ppl who are working two jobs or are on different shifts, etc., that it makes it very hard.

3. Those are good tips. It’s also important to remember to say please and thank you. Sounds silly, but I think letting the other person know that they’re valued is important. Have fun, respect each others privacy and if you’re angry, stop and think before you speak. Most spats are over totally stupid things,

4. Deb E (@debbieeland) says:

Several of these ideas are or can be very low cost and it is the time spent together, as you say, that makes the difference. Communication is so important and takes just minutes a day.

5. md kennedy says:

I think Family Time is critical: my husband and I make it a point to see our grandkids at least once each week, and we make the effort because the parents are so busy. Everyone loves and treasures our dinners together!

6. Amy Orvin says:

These are all super great tips. It’s so important to me to spend quality time with my family. Thank you for sharing this post. I hope it helps others, too.

7. I’m currently not married at this time. My married was complete failure therefore this don’t apply to me.

8. We had to substitute family breakfasts instead of dinners due to schedules, and even that was difficult, but in the long run worth the effort. Another thing important in family relationships, especially with young children is to have something routine. Something that the child can count on, be it a bedtime chapter in a book, or whatever works.

9. Family dinners were very important when I was growing up. We took yearly vacations and some weekend getaways.

slehan at juno dot com

10. These things are all so important. It is important to have one on one time with your spouse as well as the children. Thank you for these great suggestions

11. Joanne Gregory says:

Great suggestions! Everyone needs their own time with their loved ones.

12. Evelyn tapia says:

Great suggestions, really can help improve other families relationships. I had a few problem in the past. But, I have to admit we have improved as a family. Nothing is more important than to have a healthy relationship, and enjoy the beauty of marriage.

13. Joey Simmonds says:

I think it is important to share time with family. Great post, thank you.

14. I like all of your points. I think that a strong family base makes for strong children. Spending quality family time seems to be so rare these days. Such a bummer. Thanks for writing! Love it!!

15. These are all great tips, my family spends a lot of time together. Thank you for sharing this post.

16. laura rubenstein says:

I agree with all these great tips! Family time is so very important. Realistically we only have our kids at home for a short time and it goes fast!

17. One thing we are able to do is all eat supper together every night. None of us work evenings and we’re all homebodies, so everyone is at home for supper.

18. cgould4178 says:

Thanks for the great tips. Every family can use a little help now and then. Thanks for sharing!

19. These are all great ideas. I admit we don’t do all of these things, but I’d like to!

20. These are excellent tips! Thank you for sharing!

21. Tips here are super and every family should practice them

22. Deborah D says:

these are excellent tips.i will show thhis post to my siblings.

23. Very good information, great ideas . I like that they are practical things that can be done.

24. Playing games together is fun and a bonding time.
    slehan at juno dot com

25. Shayler Coultes says:

You sound like u have agreat family. I wish I could aford to just take my boys camping. Thanks for all the great ideas your family better hold on tight to u

26. I agreed with everyone of your 5 tips tips. I especially liked the family meals. In our home we did that and the only excuse not to be present was work when they were older. In fact we still have family dinners on Sundays at our home noexcuses. My children are now doing this with their young families as well.

Thank you for all these great tips. We all need some help . We try to have the one on one time, family meals, and family game or movie night.

28. These are great tips. You won’t believe the stories I hear how everybody is so busy making ends meet that they cannot make time for their families, I’m a counselor. It takes time to nurture relationships.

Diana C

29. I like family dinners-even though i have to travel to dallas –but great times…

30. Great ideas. Family dinners were always a tradition in my family that I always enjoyed.

31. Michelle S says:

You share some great idea! Our family has dinner together at least 5 days a week. Recently in our church, our priest asked how many families had dinner together at least 5 days a week and it was a really low number that raised their hands.

32. Regina Wright says:

I think this was a very good read. We get so caught up in life, that we don’t put aside time for family. Family is important and so are building strong relationships with one another.

33. Kim Hampton says:

These are great suggestions. It’s so important to spend time together.

34. Kasie Tillman says:

We are good at all of these except for date night, unfortunately. We need to do date night more. We have an overnight trip planned a few months away. We have got to do better than that. I know I also need to get out more with my friends as well.

35. Stacy Fields says:

Great points made! As a single mom I find it hard to spend one on one time with just one of my sons but I do need to find a way to make that happen.

36. Sandy Cain says:

Great tips – the one we really need to improve on here is family dinners. We all have different schedules, and so pretty much eat at different times – I can’t remember when we all sat down together as a family and had dinner together. Something for me to work on! Thanks for reminding me what’s important! : )

37. Those are good ideas. I especially like the vacation idea. Enjoy it while you can. When they hit a certain age, hanging out with the parents isn’t cool. They’d rather be with friends.