Diaper Need Awareness Week 9/28-10/4 #DiaperNeed

Everything Mommyhood is being compensated by AWHONN for our participation in this campaign. We are also a part of the Mom It Forward Blogger Network. All opinions are those of our own.

There’s a problem nationwide that I think doesn’t get enough coverage, no one seems to talk about it. Diapers. Did you know that 1 in 3 American families nationwide struggle to diaper their baby or toddler? Babies, especially newborns go through a lot of diapers, and they add up in cost. On average, a child needs 6 to 10 diapers a day, which can cost anywhere from $60-80 a month! Some families can only afford half of that, or even less. So what happens if they can’t afford more? They let baby/toddler wear a soiled diaper longer, reuse them after they’ve dried, and some even turn them inside out. Desperate times calls for desperate measures right? No one should have to face this situation, especially a helpless child.

Smiling babies

When we had my oldest daughter, we were barely making it with the bills we had to pay. We weren’t poor, but unfortunately we had a lot of debt, which ate up all of our money. We were living paycheck to paycheck, and some months we actually had to use a credit card to purchase groceries. We made too much money for any kind of financial assistance because they didn’t take into account all of our debt. We had debt from when we were younger, and we were now paying for it, and we didn’t want our daughter to have to either. We knew we couldn’t go without diapers for her, or formula (I had tried breastfeeding with no success.) I had visited food banks, churches for their food pantry, and even some churches gave us clothing, but every where I went, no one had diapers available. Every once in awhile some churches would give us a gift card to the store just so we could purchase diapers for our daughter. You don’t know how thankful I was during those times.

Thankfully now there seem to be more and more diaper banks popping up all over. This week is diaper awareness week, and I’m trying to help spread the word about something I’m very passionate about. Now that my family is able to, we are always helping others and giving as much as possible, and we love donating to our local diaper bank. Knowing that we’re helping keep a baby clean, dry and healthy, is such a great feeling.

Without clean diapers, babies are more prone to rashes, infections, extra visits to the pediatrician’s office, and in the most extreme cases, hospitalization. Let’s get those babies without diapers the chance they need to be clean. Donate!

Healthy Mom&Baby magazine, the nurses of the Association of Women’s Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses, Kimberly-Clark, and the National Diaper Bank Network are partnering for Diaper Need Awareness Week and asking that you donate diapers to families in need in your community from now through October 4th, 2015. Have you thought about donating to your local diaper bank? Find your local diaper bank here.

Please make a difference and go to DiaperDrive.org to donate TODAY.

Have you or someone you know had a lack of diaper supply? Would they have benefited from a diaper bank?

Disclosure: Everything Mommyhood was compensated by AWHONN for our participation in this campaign. We are also a part of the Mom It Forward Blogger Network. All opinions are those of our own. If you have any questions or would like to see your product/service featured, email us at everythingmommyhood@gmail.com.

Comments

1. We would definitely have benefited from a Diaper Bank. I remember we would run out of diapers and my mother would use T-shirts and fold them to make diapers.

2. Thanks for sharing this information. Diaper need is REAL in this country.

3. garrisonelia says:

This is such an important cause! I didn’t realize how even if you’re on WIC or Welfare you won’t get any help. That is horrible because this is something so necessary. Thank you for this great info!!

4. I think it’s great that there are diaper banks now. When I was a single mom with two babies, I really struggled to get diapers. Something like this would have helped me a lot.

5. When we had our son, we had no idea what we were doing. I wish I had know about how to save on baby supplies. Knowing what I know now, I can help others!

Thank you for an informative post!

6. I will be honest, I didn’t know diaper banks existed. These are great bits of information Paramedics can offer young mothers in urban cities. Thanks for sharing some great insight! ~Tom

7. This is so great to know about!! I don’t have a local diaper bank near me, but I will donate online. We struggled buying baby necceseties when our oldest was a baby so I’d love to help out others now that we are more than able to. Thanks for sharing this!

8. Wow, I had no idea! As a mommy I know how necessary and expensive diapers are but I had no idea this type of foundation exists. I’m a couponer that loves to donate. Checking into this now. Thank you for the information!

9. Diapers were the number one thing we needed at the family homeless shelter where I used to volunteer. No one even thinks about donating them and cloth diapers aren’t a the best option for many homeless families. Thank for sharing!

10. I’ve never heard of this but what a great idea! We definitely could have benefited from this when Abby was in diapers.

11. My diaper need was crazy as we had twins. It really was a struggle at times!

12. Elizabeth T says:

Diapers are always in need when you have a new baby. I wish they had this for special needs kid too!! Glad to see stuff like this.

13. With twins, there have been some times I wonder how lower income families do it.
    We donated all our cloth diapers to the diaper bank locally, just recently! These are such a blessing

14. Heather Baker says:

I love this! I know we went through a time where diaper need was a real thing! Thanks for sharing!

15. Cloth diapers save alot of money and they’re better for the baby. I lucked out and was given diaper service as a shower gift. I’m not trying to sound mean but, people really should try to be in a position financially to where diapers shouldn’t be an issue. I know things happen, jobs are lost…

16. I had no idea that there was a diaper bank nearby me. Thanks for sharing this. I usually just donate diapers we’ve outgrown to the local woman’s shelter, so it’s good to know I can reach even more babies in need!

17. This is great! Thanks for posting. I need to check them out, I have an extra pack of diapers my baby grew too fast to use.
    Glad to hear these things exist!

18. I couldn’t imagine having the diapers I needed for my baby. What a great campaign!

19. I have never thought about donating to a diaper bank before, but I will now. This is a great campaign and a worthwhile cause.

20. Christine says:

I just recently heard about this! Such a great idea!

21. This is so good to know! I always get sent diaper samples and never know what to do with them. I’ll be donating them from now on.

22. It’s a good thing there are diaper banks now. I can’t imagine needing diapers and not having one!

23. I do not know of any diaper banks near me, but many of the local churches help with diapers. Cloth diaper organizations can also help families in need, which is awesome!

24. michelleswank says:

Thank you for educating others on this problem. It’s such a little known crisis.

25. This is great and I do know people are struggling with items and this is one thing they always need. A diaper bank would be beneficial to many.

26. Kathy Hammac says:

It’s nice to know that there are resources available to help out with diapers. I could not afford disposable diapers and used cloth diapers. It is a little more work, but it solves the problem of not having disposable ones.

27. This is a great cause! Diapers are so expensive and I’m glad there’s a resource to help with that.

28. I didn’t know about diaper banks, or really even the wide need for diapers.
    slehan at juno dot com

29. My grand baby is due in February. We will be having a great need for diapers then.