Detox Recipes: 4 Teas for a Clean Feeling

I have teamed up with Buddha Teas for a guest post here on Everything Mommyhood!

Detox Recipes_ 4 Teas for a Clean Feeling

For a long time, I wasn’t so sure about the detox craze. I can swallow the concept that toxins enter my body through unclean air, water, and food, and I even believe that those toxins have deleterious effects, like fatigue or achiness. However, I absolutely refused to accept that simply drinking certain fluids would flush my system and create balance and harmony ― until I tried it.

tea1

Over the holidays, when I was bemoaning that all the rich seasonal foods made me feel ill, my sister-in-law absolutely swore by a tea cleanse that she always endured starting January 1st. She claimed it refreshed her system and helped her regain the healthy eating and exercising habits she had before the holiday interruption.

At first, I was hesitant to accept it, but after January came and went, I was still splurging on unhealthy foods. Finally, I ordered some tea, and after just a day of drinking, I can whole-heartedly tell you that as ridiculous as they sound, detoxes work.

Like most, I only complete a cleanse every once in a while; fasting definitely isn’t good for your body if you do it often. However, if I feel I need a quick pick-me-up, I feel comfortable brewing up a cup of one of the following natural solutions to detoxify my blood, liver, bowels, and more.

Dandelion

Slowly but surely, people are starting to see those bright yellow flowers not as banes on their beautiful lawns but as boons to their health. Dandelion greens have a delicious flavor that adds to any fresh salad mix, and the edible buds provide a surprising number of vitamins and minerals, like calcium and potassium.

However, the true good stuff is in the roots. Dandelion root is suspected of increasing bile flow, which sounds disgusting but is actually extremely beneficial for the liver, which is actually one of the easiest organs to injure with bad habits like drinking and smoking. Dandelion tea is strong and slightly sweet, which makes it an excellent substitute for soda on a hot summer day ― perhaps after you pull all the dandelions from your lawn.

Milk Thistle

Another weed with wondrous benefits, milk thistle’s wild nature gives it a number of antioxidants that are hard to find in your regular diet. As a result, a mug of milk thistle tea is even more beneficial than a glass of red wine, as it rids your body of harmful free radicals.

Though milk thistle’s taste isn’t perhaps as naturally appealing as other teas on this list, there are a number of ways to make the drink more refreshing and fun during your detox.

tea2

After brewing your tea according to the instructions, you can:

-Toss in slices of tangerine and cucumber and a handful of fresh peppermint for a sweeter sipper.

-Blend with spinach, banana, lime juice, and spearmint for a clean mojito.

-Mix with stronger teas, like ginger, green, or mint, for a double detox.

Ginger

It isn’t hard to love ginger. This exotic spice is equally as delicious on chicken and as in cookies, and it is well-known to provide real digestive health benefits. I for one swear by ginger pills whenever I go on road trips or roller coasters, so ginger was one of my first favorite detox drinks. However, it quickly became clear that ginger is good for more than tummy
trouble: It also reduces pain and inflammation, especially after heavy exercise.

My favorite ginger tea trick is making ice pops. After brewing a particularly strong pot of tea and allowing it to cool, distribute the beverage into the different pockets of an ice pop mold and place the mold in the freezer. You should allow your ice pops to freeze overnight before indulging in the sweet and spicy treat.

Turmeric

Perhaps the hottest naturopathic trend right now is turmeric, which has recently been gifted with unbelievable medicinal prowess. Though doctors and scientists refute many of turmeric’s alleged abilities ― they do agree that the root does have some beneficial qualities. In particular, turmeric is a powerful anti-inflammatory, which is helpful in reducing pain and improving the function of most bodily systems.

If curry isn’t your favorite dish, you can introduce turmeric into your diet with tea. However, finding a tea blend is advisable, as the tangy flavor can be overpowering. Ginger pairs especially well, and it allows you to double down on your detoxification.

Happy cleansing!

Have you ever tried anything for a detox? If so, what?

Comments

1. OLD SLOW NOT STUPID says:

Tea is a WONDERFUL thing NATURAL DETOX for what we put in our bodies that aren’t so great nicotine alcohol ect… Perfect for energy natural Wait loss (nothing ADDED NESSARY) REFRESHING COLD FLAVORS OF YOUR CHOICES EXELANTE HOT FOR COLD NIGHTS AND COLDS Pick your TEA LIVE HEALTHY 💖💞🌷🌹😴☁️✨

2. This is good information. I am a tea drinker so I will have to check this out.

3. I’m not sure if this is for me. I have a lot of problems with food in general. I’m afraid I’d dehydrate.

4. I will have to try this. I wasn’t sure if these types of detox worked or not. I have really been feeling sluggish lately. Hopefully this will help. Thank you so much for sharing

5. clojo9372 says:

I do a colon cleanse once a year but I never tried one with tea. I will definitely look into it. I will try anything that will put me on a healthier path to living!

6. Edna Williams says:

Tea is tasty, so these would be worth a try! Thanks for sharing!

7. Oooh, Great Post! I Really Need to Try These Detoxifying Teas, Especially the Ginger! I Have Bad Chronic Pain from Fibromyalgia So I Could Really This! I Already Drink Chamomile Tea for the Nights I Can’t Get to Sleep and Lavender Tea for Anxiety! Thanks So Much for the Post, Have a Blessed Day! – Jana

8. laurie damrose says:

I use these,they are great.

9. Richard Hicks says:

I could use a detox. LOL! May have to try these

10. Regina Elliott says:

Well my potassium is always low when I go to doctor so I have to take a supplement ! I am a huge tea drinker I drink it all day ,hot,iced, I love the herbals so I’m gonna try this it might save me some money and give me a great bill of health with my doctor

11. I Also Meant to Say that I Have IBS & Gall Stones So I Always Seem to Have Stomach Pain & Discomfort So I Might Try the Ginger Tea Just to See if it Might Help, I Mean I Have Nothing to Lose! I Used to Drink Too Many Soft Drinks So I Decided to Cut Down on the Sodas and Switch to Water, Tea, & Juices! Just Cutting Down on the Soda and Starting to Drink Tea has Helped a Great Deal and My Stomach is Not So Bloated & it Doesn’t Hurt as Much! Thanks for the Post and I Hope You Have a Blessed Day! – Jana

12. I don’t like to mess with that stuff. I’m not sure that it’s totally safe.

13. Isn’t ginger just the best thing ever! In summer I like iced lemon & ginger water.

14. I like your ginger tea trick of making ice pops.

15. Kara Kudro says:

I recently gave up coffee because I was having so much trouble with Caffeine and have since fallen in love with tea. Thank you for these great recipes and for some ideas for enjoying tea in the summer

16. I love making tumeric and ginger tea. It’s soothing and makes my insides feel better!

17. Does this really work? Does it work long time?

18. Very healthy!

19. Nancy Burgess says:

Very interesting and informative thanks.

20. Amy Tolley says:

These sound amazing ..love that all the ingredients are all natural and safe gor your body thanks for sharing these amazing tips recipes with us

21. Herbal Tea is Great for All Kinds of Things Rather it Be Detoxing or if You’re Sick or to Just Keep Healthy! I Have Been Thinking of Starting an Indoor Garden for Fresh Herbs and Stuff b/c I Love to Use Fresh Herbs in Everything, Especially Tea! I Would Love a Book that Gives Us Perfect Recipes of Herbal Tea that Helps with Different Things b/c Right Now I Have had Bad Allergies and it Would be Cool if There was a Tea to Help with That! Anyways, Thanks Again for the Post! Have a Blessed Day! – Jana

22. denise low says:

I will have to give this one a try. Sounds great. Thank you for sharing.

23. I believe in the body’s need to detox,empty calories,waste products and sugars can build up and Rob you of energy and vitality

24. Sue Hull says:

Thats interesting. I never knew that about dandilions.Im going to try that sometime. Im going to pin this. Thank you for sharing 🙂

25. Julie Simpson says:

I love feeling cleansed quarterly. The changes of the seasons bring many challenges with the arthritis fybromyalgia and other things I have an old Native American family recipe that I use for a week and it helps you feel a little more energy.

26. Dotty J Boucher says:

I love being able to clean myself and go through a routine with my body and mind. I love that you added
    turmeric , its something that I have been wanting to try out, because I hear so many wonderful things about it.
    @tisonlyme143

27. Turmeric is such great stuff, I make a nice tea of it with ginger and lemon.

28. belinda bell says:

I would love to have this detox tea

29. Detoxing is something I have never done. I know it can leave you feeling good in the end and these tea recipes sound really good.

30. Dotty J Boucher says:

I do have to say that I have been trying this out and I can honestly say as sick as I was I am feeling a bit better, and my body feels cleaner

31. Lauryn R says:

I love tea but I definitely don’t drink it enough! I will try these delicious ones out, thank you for sharing! 🙂

32. Tamra Gibson says:

I just did a tea cleanse I got from Hey Girl. It worked great with no bad side effects. I don’t regret purchasing it at all but, I think next time I am gonna try your info

33. I will have to try this detox since it is all natural.

Oooh this mama needs these!! I am so weighted down with winter weight still!!

35. This looks absolutely yummy! All those delish fruits and tea,fantastic ,I bet it feels good too,after being all full and bloated

36. You were so right about these cleanses. I love how they work and how they make me feel. Thank you again for sharing

37. Leslie Crosbie says:

I never tried a detox but I want to! I even bought one but never took because worried that it would make me feel like crap!

38. This would be something for all to do to cleanse ourselves . Dandelion has been around for a long time. We have eaten it a lot. THanks for all the good information

39. I will ask my doctor about these teas and then I will try them.

40. Olivine Eyes says:

I don’t detox but do love tea. There is a lot a tea out there, way more than the four on the list that I need to try.