March 22nd is Diabetes Alert Day! Educate Yourself!

Everything Mommyhood was not compensated for this post. This is a social good post.

DiabetesDoc

I don’t know about you, but I know several people in my family who have diabetes. It’s not a pretty sight. They have to take medicines daily, test their blood sugar daily, adjust their diet, watch what over the counter medications they take, and much much more. It’s really scary and it’s not something to take lightly.

Let’s face it – we have all been that person, the one who says “it’s okay, I am fine. I will make that doctors appointment another day.” There are millions of reasons why we don’t take time to make healthy lifestyle choices. Kids, jobs, cat videos on the Internet – we’re all busy.

But let me ask you this – if it were the health of your child, your parent, or another loved one, would you still procrastinate? Whatever the reason, there’s no excuse for not taking care of yourself just like you would make the time to take care of someone else!

March 22nd is Diabetes Alert Day. No one is excused from prediabetes. 86 million American adults (more than 1 in 3) have prediabetes and are at high risk of developing type 2 diabetes, a serious health condition that can lead to heart attack and stroke. Surprisingly, nearly 90% of those with prediabetes don’t even know that they have it.

But it’s not all bad news. Prediabetes often can be reversed through weight loss, diet changes and increased physical activity. Diagnosis is key: research shows that once people are aware of their condition, they are much more likely to make the necessary lifestyle changes. Education and awareness could mean the difference in so many lives.

DiabetesAlert

Making changes may seem tough, but remember, even a small amount of weight loss (5-7% of your body weight) can reverse pre-diabetes before it develops into type 2 diabetes.

• Get at least 2.5 hours (150 minutes) of light aerobic activity every week. This could be as simple as going for a brisk 30-minute walk 5 days per week. Even 10 minutes at a time adds up. Small steps can lead to big changes.
  • Find simple ways to be more active throughout the day, like taking the stairs instead of the elevator, or parking farther away from the entrance of a store front when you hit the shops. Because, hey, whatever will get you moving is a step in the right direction.
  • At the start of each week, create a schedule of when you’re going to exercise — and make it a priority to stick to it!

We need to communicate a sense of urgency – it’s time to take action and what better day to spread the message than on Diabetes Alert Day! If you know someone who could be at risk, encourage them to visit DoIHavePrediabetes.org for a short online test that will help them learn their risk for pre-diabetes.

Disclosure: Everything Mommyhood was not compensated for this posting. This is a social good post. All opinions are those of our own. If you’d like to see your service/product featured here on Everything Mommyhood, please contact us at EverythingMommyhood@gmail.com.

Comments

1. KATE SARSFIELD says:

The number of people worldwide who are at risk is frightening, and those numbers only increase as we become more obese and sedentary. My Dad had diabetes but unfortunately it went undiscovered for years and the damage to his heart and circulation was irreversible. For the last 20 years of his life he was able to control the disease by daily insulin injections and enjoyed relatively good health right up to his sudden death last year. Who knows what might have been had he been diagnosed earlier, but, typical man, he ‘soldiered’ on without visiting his doctor. I now get blood tests done every 6 months just in case.

2. clojo9372 says:

Many members of my family on father’s side have diabetes. Luckily I don’t but I try to be careful and watch my sugar intake. It doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy desserts — I do — but I have to be careful with the amount of processed sugar I consume. Everyone does! Everyone needs to have awareness of the dangers of diabetes.

3. Lindsay Giedosh says:

My dad has had diabetes for over ten years now. It’s a big lifestyle change but not impossible, it just takes some time getting used to and managing one day at a time

4. I have never heard of this day before. Diabetes is such a serious illness. It is unbelievable all the things in your body it can effect. Thank you so much for sharing this

5. Richard Hicks says:

Good to know this. Fortunately diabetes has not been a problem in our family but I know a lot of people are affected

6. Edna Williams says:

The dangers of diabetes are real and can be devastating! Thanks for sharing this!

7. My dad,brother,aunt and cousin all have diabetes,its quite a complicated condition that requires a lot of attention.

8. It runs in the family. I’ve had a family member pass from complications due to.

9. I’ve known several people with this and it can be very dangerous. It’s good to know the symptoms.

10. Such helpful and important information to get out to everyone. Just knowing what to look for and how to help ourselves stay healthy can help so much.

11. Thanks for sharing this. We all need to be aware and take care of ourselves.

12. Dotty J Boucher says:

I am glad others talk about this and I know for myself I posted it on my different sites, hopefully people don’t have to wait till March again to get the word out. Thanks for sharing

It is becoming so popular!! Makes me sad for the cases that are preventable!! Such great tips you included in this article!!