Car Seat Safety – Is Your Child in the Right Car Seat? #TheRightSeat

CAR SEAT SAFETY

If you’re an avid follower of my blog, you know how important car seat safety is to me. I’ve written a ton of blog posts on car seat safety, which  I’ll post the links to. It’s our job as the adult, parent, guardian, grandparent, aunt, uncle, caregiver, or babysitter to keep children safe. They only have one life and I feel it’s our duty to keep them as safe as possible. Don’t slack on car seat safety for your own convenience.

Did you know that every 33 seconds a child under 13 is involved in a car crash in the United States? That probably isn’t the first thing you think about when you are hauling your kids to school, the grocery store, or anywhere else around town. And really, you shouldn’t have to worry about whether or not your child is safely snuggled into the right car seat every time you get in the car. Instead, make sure your child is in the right seat from the get-go.

Safety seats, if used correctly, can dramatically reduce the risk of fatality or injury. But over half of car seats are misused in a way that could reduce their effectiveness and 1 in 3 children killed in car crashes were completely unrestrained at the time of the crash. Just the thought of that is devastating. So why not select the right car seat from the start?

And just because you THINK you know you have the right car seat, think again. Wouldn’t it just be best to know, without a doubt, that your child is in the right seat?

Unfortunately, there are so many parents out there who are not educated on the ins and outs of car seat safety. It is so important that we get the word out and educate parents and caregivers about the importance of selecting the right seat for their child’s age and size, and to remind them that car seats, booster seats and seat belts offer the best protection for children in crashes and help save lives.

CAR SEAT SAFETY

Don’t wait until it is too late. Check out http://www.safercar.gov/parents/CarSeats/Car-Seat-Safety.htm to make sure you have the right seat buckled in the right way.

Car Seat Safety Tips:

• Find a car seat that fits your child. As children grow, how they fit in their car seat will change. Make sure the car seat you purchase is designed to fit your child’s current size and age.
  • Not all car seats fit in all vehicles so test the car seat you plan to buy to make sure it fits correctly in your vehicle.
  • Before installing your car seat in your vehicle and putting your child in the car seat, read the manufacturer’s instructions so you know how your car seat works.
  • All-in-One car seats offer you the advantage of using the same seat for the following positions: rear-facing, forward-facing with harness, then booster. These seats typically have higher height and weight limits for the rear-facing position, allowing you to keep your child rear-facing for a longer period of time.

Make it your priority to make sure your child or a child you love is safe when they are buckled in.

Here are some great articles that I wrote myself over the last few years. Please read them and feel free to share them with friends and family, on facebook, or pinterest.

Quick Tip Guide to Car Seat Safety

Important Car Seat Safety for Baby, Toddler, and Kids

Do’s and Don’ts of Car Seat Safety

Let me know what your most important tip is of car seat safety or something you may have learned!

Disclosure: This is a social good post and Everything Mommyhood was NOT compensated for this posting. All opinions are those of our own. If you’d like to see your product/service featured on Everything Mommyhood, please email us at everythingmommyhood@gmail.com.

Comments

1. Gabby Anderson says:

2. Regina Elliott says:

This is information I needed to know !!! I didn’t realize how dangerous it is when a car seat isn’t properly installed

3. Dotty J Boucher says:

It is so important for parents to protect their child the best that they can and making sure they are properly secure with the right equipment is a must for any parent..

4. clojo9372 says:

That car crash statistic really took me back. it is imperative that all parents do the best they can do to protect their child and get the best and most secure car seat they can afford. and if you’re not sure the seat is properly installed watch a video online or get help and a second opinion from someone else.

5. Car safety is so important. I have two young grandchildren and I really enjoy all the information you bloggers share. Thank you so much

6. I learned a lot from this post. I am telling my sister about this post so that she can read it.

7. So many people don’t read the manual. I see so many Facebook posts, Instagram posts, TV shows, etc where the straps are loose, chest clip is way too low, or some other mistake. Unfortunately get so defensive when you point out the correct way even if you do so in a polite manner. It literally is a matter of life and death.

Such important info!! Im such a car seat stickler!! Sometimes I wonder why people push to switch a seat to something unsafer before the kiddo is ready!! My son will be in a 5 pt harness till forever if I can help it lol!!

9. heather walborn says:

I just learned the other day you were not supposed to have the infant seat touching the front seat – and since then have been on a mission searching for better info on carseats. Thank you for this!

10. Im currently researching car seats right now so coming across this article has been a huge help. My baby grows fast and its good to know how to find the right one for her.

11. Car seats have changed so much over the years. It’s important to have a safe seat and install it correctly.

12. Katie Hall says:

Thank you for the great post! About to have my first kid so I have a lot of questions about carseat safety!

13. Awesome post. All mommies should read it and be confident their kids are in the correct seat, in the proper way. Thanks for posting this.

14. I clicked on the link you provided and was happy to find out our daughter is in the proper type of car seat. Whew! You’re right, it’s nice to know for sure. I also read there about proper placement of the harness and realized how important it is to get that chest clasp up to underarm height. So good to know how to best protect her! Thank you!

15. Thank you!! Information like this is so important!! My kids are all teenagers now but I did just become a first-time Grandma and I am looking to buy a carseat right now!!

16. Elizabeth Romero says:

I had no idea so many children are involved in car crashes. I will always take extra care when buckling my child in the car seat now.

17. Helen Banner says:

thank you for this important message!

18. Leslie Crosbie says:

My kids are all teenagers but my first grandchild was just born, and I am looking for a carseat to but right now. Thank you for information I will put it to use now!!

19. We just had to buy a new carseat for my 3 year old great grand daughter. She is short but over a certain weight limit. These are great tips.

20. Car seat safety is so important so thank you for highlighting this. So many parents don’t keep their kids rear facing long enough or understand why it’s so important to do so!

21. Mandy P. says:

This is one of my biggest worries, keeping my LO safe if I were to be in an accident. Thankfully it hasn’t happened yet, but I appreciate the research you’ve done!

22. tina gonzalez says:

It is very very important to learn proper security for your little ones

23. Rachel Jenkins says:

Great read, thank you!

24. This is a must for all parents, safety is the best

25. tina gonzalez says:

keep our children safe, very very important

26. Christina G. says:

Car seat shopping is complicated these days. Thanks for sharing!

27. Car Seat safety is so important to me! My kids have rear faced until over 2 years old and only my 10 yr old is no longer in a booster of any sort. She was up until 8 or 9 yrs old and then her being so big, it is now actually safer for her to not be in one, crazy to say.

28. As a grandma and great grandma all these changes and things about the proper car seat if confusing to me so I always let that up to the parents to make sure they have the correct one and I let them hook it up for me. The childs safety comes first for me as their grandma. Thanks for all the information tho .

29. Blessed Assurance says:

The safety of our children is very important so let that call go to voicemail if the phone rings or chimes while your putting your child in their carseat.