Don’t Fall Victim to a Mortgage Relief Scam

Ad_Council_TW

Everything Mommyhood has teamed up with Making Home Affordable for this posting. I think it’s so important to get this information out there! This is a social good post, so we were NOT compensated for letting you know about this important info. Make sure you pass along this info to your friends and family!!!

As you spend your life planning, working, and doing the things you love – you are also building a home. Not just a house or a place to hang your hat. Life is pretty great right? You have a good job, you have a home, and things are sunny.

Until disaster strikes. No one wants to think about it, but it can happen to anyone. Yes, I am talking about the nauseating word, foreclosure. Although, you thought you had it all together, and you probably did, anything can happen. Job layoffs, illness, injury. So many variables. If this has happened to you or someone you love, you are probably feeling like you do not know where to turn and feeling utterly alone. But that simply should not be the case at all. There is help out there.

June is National Home Ownership Month, but many Americans are still struggling to make their mortgage payments. About 1 in 17 homeowners nationwide have fallen behind on their mortgage payments, putting them at a higher risk of foreclosure.

Unfortunately, foreclosure rescue and mortgage modification scams are a growing problem. Scammers will make promises that they can’t keep, such as guaranteeing to “save” your home or lower your mortgage payments, usually for a fee, and sometimes even claiming that they have direct contact with your mortgage company.

These scams could cost homeowners thousands of dollars – or even their homes.

• Through the federal Making Home Affordable program, many homeowners have received much-needed help to reduce their monthly payments, get mortgage relief, and avoid foreclosure.Homeowners who are struggling to make mortgage payments can call 888-995-HOPE™ (4673) or visit MakingHomeAffordable.gov for free resources and information to help them deal with their mortgage problems and avoid foreclosure.

MHA6

• Telephone scammers often request payment by wire transfer services similar to MoneyGram, or completion of paperwork containing your Social Security Number. Do not make any mortgage payments by wire transfer, or provide any personal information, in response to these calls. If you receive unsolicited calls, always check with your mortgage company using the phone number on your mortgage statement, or call 888-995-HOPE (4673) to check its legitimacy.
  • Beware of telephone calls urging you to take advantage of the Making Home Affordable Program. Beware of anyone seeking to charge you in advance for mortgage modification services. In most cases, charging fees in advance of a mortgage modification is illegal.
  • Paying a third party to assist with your application may not improve your likelihood of receiving a mortgage modification. Beware of individuals or companies that ask you for payment, tout their success rate, or claim to be Making Home Affordable (MHA) or Home Affordable Modification (HAMP) experts.
  • The Making Home Affordable (MHA) housing counseling experts at 888-995-HOPE™ (4673) are available around-the-clock (24 hours a day, 7 days a week), in over 170 languages, and at no cost. They will help homeowners understand their options and design a plan to suit their individual situation.

infographic-housing-councel

Going through the stress of potentially losing your home is hard enough as it is. No one should EVER be faced with going through that alone, but many do feel alone in what they are experiencing. That is why the Making Home Affordable (MHA) program provides free resources and assistance for distressed homeowners who are working hard at juggling expenses to makes ends meet. There are more options available for struggling homeowners today than ever before, and MHA works to provide them with the mortgage solution that is right for them.

Visit MakingHomeAffordable.gov to read about available programs to help with mortgage payments. If you or someone you know is struggling, there is help.

Disclosure: Everything Mommyhood did not receive compensation for this posting! This is a social good post that I believe is important for our readers to know about. If you’d like to see your product or service featured on Everything Mommyhood, please contact us at everythingmommyhood@gmail.com

Comments

1. It’s just so repulsive that there are scammers out there preying on vulnerable people. Think of an elderly person. It might be easier to confuse them.

2. tina gonzalez says:

Thanks for this information!

3. wen budro says:

Those are some scary statistics and scammers. Thank you for the information. It’s useful to know what to look out for.

4. This could happen to anyone easily when we feel desperate. I really appreciate you sharing this great information. It could save someone from a real disaster. Thank you so much for sharing

5. Susan Smith says:

Great information! My neighbor was almost a victim. She was behind in her house payments and was contacted by one of these companies. I convinced her it was a scam and she didn’t give them any money.

6. Thanks for sharing this. Me and my son are thinking about buying a house and these things are good to know.

7. Thank you for these tips! It’s important to always be on alert for scams.

8. Dying Phone says:

Buying a house and worrying about all the different costs is bad enough without having to dodge scams. So glad I still live at home.

9. Jeena Bittenbender says:

I have heard a ton of stories about these scams. Both from personal experience and from news channels reporting it. There are scams everywhere.

10. This is such important information! I am heartbroken by how many good people fall victim to these scams. It’s deplorable that they prey on people who are already in a financial bind. Thank you so much for putting this alert out there for all of us to be aware!

11. Cindy S. says:

Very good info here. Thank you. I especially worry about the elderly who are so trusting.

12. If it sounds too good to be true, chances are it is not true .

13. Its very powerful info and it will help us a lot.

14. Good info! I hate scammers – they so often target the vulnerable elderly folks.

15. Unfortunately, we yet have evil and heartless humans walking/talking among us. Thank you for this “Alert reminder.”

16. Michael Howell says:

These people prey on the weak and unfortunate souls who don’t read the fine print. I’ve heard of lots of folks being scammed by them. I’m glad you’re bringing it up to let everyone know about it!

17. This is great information. It’s scary all the scams going on.

18. Tara Gauthier says:

Telephone scammers are the worst! There are unfortunately many people falling prey to them and the tactics they have are downright deplorable! It can be scary for people for are elderly, disabled and in some cases just not aware that they are being scammed by those preying on them. I hear of people getting calls from scammers often where I work and wish there was a way to stop it. I am glad you have written this post to raise more awareness about it.

19. Cheryl Everitt says:

We live in a scary world these days. It is a shame that you cannot believe anything you hear. I’m thinking of not answering my phone.

20. Ronald Gagnon says:

Thank you so much for these great warnings…it is so bad that most of these scams target the elderly

21. Thank you so much for posting this. So many people are struggling right now making ends meet and to be scammed on top of it. It’s horrible. If it sounds too good to be true, it almost always is!