Why I’m Going to #LightItUpBlue for Understanding and Acceptance #UnderstandAutism

This is a social good post. We were not compensated for this posting. Autism is near and dear to my heart and I wanted to share!

April is World Autism Month, and I like to wear blue as much as possible to support Autism during the month of April!

Since April is World Autism Month, I’ve decided to #LightItUpBlue with Autism Speaks to increase understanding and awareness of autism. The issue is deeply personal to me as a mom of a child with autism. It’s highly likely that you know someone with autism too since the CDC estimates autism’s prevalence as 1 in every 68 children in the United States.

Autism refers to a range of conditions characterized by challenges with social skills, repetitive behaviors, speech and nonverbal communication, as well as by unique strengths and differences. We now know that there is not one autism but many types, caused by different combinations of genetic and environmental influences.

Autism’s most obvious signs tend to appear between 2 and 3 years of age. In some cases, it can be diagnosed as early as 18 months. Autism Speaks encourages parents with concerns to seek evaluation without delay, as early intervention can improve outcomes.

The “Light It Up Blue” campaign is about more than awareness — it is about increasing understanding and acceptance of autism.  This includes advocacy and support for people across the entire spectrum throughout their lives. It also includes advancing research into personalized treatments for autism and related conditions.  I encourage you test your understanding of autism by taking this quiz!

Certain medical and mental health issues frequently accompany autism. They include GI disorders, seizures, sleep disturbances, attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), anxiety and phobias.

I have a few mommy friends who have children with Autism, ones that are all over the spectrum, and I have to give it to them. Some days are way harder than others. You can help make a difference too by taking the Light It Up Blue Quiz to see how much you know about autism. If you’re moved to do so after visiting AutismSpeaks.org, please show your support for and understanding of the challenges faced by individuals with autism by sharing a photo to #LightItUpBlue for Autism Awareness Month too. Also, check out Autism Speaks’ nationwide calendar of autism-friendly friendly events and activities in April.

Disclosure: We were not compensated for this posting. If you’d like to see your product/service/company featured on Everything Mommyhood, please contact us at Everythingmommyhood@gmail.com

Comments

1. That’s very interesting. My neighbor has an autistic child. I never really understood what it meant.The term, sadly is thrown around too often as an excuse.

2. I have worked with autistic children and it is so important to have family and community awareness and acceptance. Intervention and education do make a difference.

3. Brandy Trover says:

I took the quiz. I can understand and even identify in some cases when children or even adults are showing these signs in public. But as a parent I can’t say that I get involved simply because it’s not my child. I can empathize with parents who care for children with special needs. I can only imagine how tough it is.

4. I do know someone with an autistic child, and his other children are also on the spectrum. I had no idea how challenging it can be until I got to know this man. I didn’t realize April is autism month, and the color blue is its color. Thank you for letting us know.

5. This is very dear and close to my heart as I have a mild form of autism and I have a close friend who has a child who has autism. Thank you for sharing.

6. I like that they are bringing awareness to autism so that people can better understand it.

7. Hannah C says:

My friend has two autistic children. She has educated me about the trials her and her children face every day, mostly due to reactions they get from other people. It really does need awareness as so many people don’t understand it.

8. Lisa Coomer Queen says:

You have provided a lot of useful information here! Yay! I have a grandson that is Autistic and I will be wearing blue all month long! Thank you!

9. Lauren P says:

Happy OT month from an OT mom & vault autism awareness!

10. Thank you for bringing awareness to this! I went ahead and took the quiz because I wanted to find out more.

I know so many people with autism. This sounds like a great group. It gives parents time to share what works for them. Thank you so much for sharing this article on these special people.

12. Margot C says:

This is so important. It’s amazes me (still!) that so many people have no real understanding of autism.

13. Terry Poage says:

Thanks for all the great information. What a great thing to do for Autistic kids.

14. One friend’s son is Autistic and my other friend’s grandson is Autistic. I never really thought about what all this disease entails. I have noticed on occasion that my girlfriend’s son acts like a big kid even though he is a man. He also gets agitated easy. I should pay more attention!!

I love this!! Acceptance and understanding is SO important!! The spectrum is SO wide too!! Something another people do not understand!

16. I will be sharing a photo to #LightItUpBlue for Autism Awareness Month, thanks for letting me know about this! It’s important to learn and spread awareness about autism.

17. Jasmine P says:

So great! Acceptance is key!!

18. I recall learning about Autism in my college classes over 20 years ago and the diagnoses sure has changed.

19. APRIL MOORE says:

So glad that Autism awareness has been brought to attention more. My brother-in-law is autistic

20. margaret porter says:

Glad Autism is getting more awareness. So many children have it and everyone needs to be aware.

21. gloria patterson says:

Sad to say unless you know someone or have someone in your family you don’t know as much about autism that you think you do.

22. crystal frey says:

LOVE THat you did this

23. Interesting article. Never having dealt with autism, I needed this to understand, thanks for sharing.

24. My friend has a child with autism and I volunteer with her to spread awareness to others!

25. Caitlin Hurley says:

Thank you for posting this and raising awareness! My son is 4, has DS and was just diagnosed with Autism a couple months ago. I’m lighting it up blue this month too!!

26. My nephew is borderline Autistic.He is very smart .

My nieces son has autism. This was a great article. Very helpful. Her son is very intelligent and has a hard time making friends because of this. He is just different than the other children so they pick on him. God Bless you for sharing this