Important!!! Child and Tween Car Seat Safety #KidsBuckleUp

(This is a social good post from the Ad Council. All opinions are those of our own)

Everything Mommyhood teams up with the ad council a few times a year, and this happens to be one of our favorites to share on our blog as it’s so important. Car Seat Safety is important for my kids and your kids too, and I think a lot of parents and caregivers don’t research a lot about it, so I try to spread awareness as much as I can.

Every 33 seconds a child under 13 is involved in a car crash in the United States. For younger children, car seats can dramatically reduce the risk of fatality or injury – but over half of car seats are either installed or used incorrectly. For older children, buckling up is critical. A full 50% of children age 8-14 who were killed in car crashes from 2011-2015 were not restrained.

That’s why we want parents and caregivers to know about the importance of making sure their child is safely restrained—whether that’s selecting the right car seat for their child’s age and size, or making sure that older kids (8-14) always buckle their seat belts and sit in the backseat.

As parents, we all want to do the right thing to keep our children safe and sound.  This spring, the Ad Council and the U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) are unveiling new PSAs to address these important issues.  First, is the up to date car seat safety information like the tips found in the fun new video series “The Wide World of Car Seats.”

It’s so important to have your child in the right car seat, and I know how important it is. I wish parents would cheer each other on when it came to having your child in the right seat like we cheer our children on at sporting events. I love to see encouragement and education of the right way to use car seats.

The right car seat can make all the difference in a motor vehicle crash. And car crashes are a leading cause of death for children 1 to 13 years old.  But despite their best intentions, many parents may not realize their child isn’t in the right seat.  For example, many parents move their children to the next restraint type (car seat, booster seat, seat belt) too soon. To make sure you have the right seat for your child, visit SaferCar.gov/TheRightSeat.

And just when you think you’ve got this parenting thing down, your child becomes a “tween” and you enter a whole new world.  To help with travel safety, the Ad Council and the U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) are unveiling new PSAs featuring characters from Fox’s upcoming summer road trip adventure Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul. The PSAs remind parents and caregivers that even if kids argue and plead, parents should stand firm and always insist that their kids buckle up and sit in the back seat (the safest place for kids under the age of 13).

My kids know how important car seat safety is. They know they must be buckled before the car moves, no matter who they are driving with. My 5 year old is still harnessed, and my 8 year old is in a booster seat and will be for awhile.

Per data from the U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), an estimated 69,000 tweens are injured every year in car crashes and 61% of 14-year-old children killed in 2015 car crashes were unrestrained at the time of the crash.  Even though life as a parent is full of compromises, seat belt safety should never be up for negotiation. That’s why the new PSAs encourage us to: “Never give up until they buckle up!”

For more information or if you need more tips to convince your tween to buckle up, visit SaferCar.gov/KidsBuckleUp.  If you have a great tip, join the conversation on social media using: #KidsBuckleUp.

Comments

1. gloria patterson says:

I so agree a lot of parents have gone with what they think they know. My sisters great grandson just turned 2 and they have had his seat faced forward for over 6 months. I tried once to say they needed to read up on it and she told me they knew it was OK. This worrys me a lot

2. With a 2 year old and an 8 year old, we try to stay up to date on all the child care seat safety news. Thank you for this update!

3. Margot C says:

Oh I am a maniac about seat belts. Fortunately the Subaru is too and it will beep, end beep until everyone is secure.

4. Deborah D says:

I think this is a great reminder for everyone . Thanks for posting this.

Car safety is so important for all of us. Technology is changing fast and they have come out with some great car seats for our children. Thank you so much for this great article

6. ncjeepster says:

I agree with you on this. I never thought about how much damage an accident could do until I was in one. I had a lot of damage due to the airbags which resulted in a surgery that I died and was resuscitated. I immediately got on the committee for airbag safety. This was in 1998, and I stand behind all the new laws that were made from all that work. People would really make sure their kids were buckled up if they had gone through what I went through. I would never want my child to suffer like no matter the age of the child. Take time Mother’s if really could mean life or death for you child.

7. We believe in the safety of seat belts and restraints very much from first hand experience!
    Our family was involved in a car accident a few years back. The police said it was a good thing that the kids were restrained or our daughter could have died! She was riding in the backseat with her seat belt on. She ended up with a broken clavicle, because the car hit our car with such force that the seat belt held her in place and that’s why her clavicle was injured. That was the arm that the seat belt was over her shoulder. The police said that she could have been hurt a lot worse if she wasn’t wearing it! They said more than likely, she could have been thrown and her head & neck could have hit the roof of the car & bottom line is she could have broken her neck! An ounce of prevention!
    I’m glad we didn’t have to know what happened!! Please use them! The life you can save may be your own or your loved ones!!

8. Hannah C says:

Car safety is so important! I think it’s great for everyone to be reminded!

9. Rachael DeBates says:

thankfully my son is out of a car seat!

10. Thanks for sharing this. I have 4 young grand children.

This is such important information for all parents. Whether the child is in a car seat or not everyone need to be buckled in. The car seat must be correctly attached and put in backwards for a long as possible.

12. We grew up before people wore seat belts, I don’t even remember if they were there to put on. I’m glad that more people are paying closer attention to safety for the children, tweens, teens, and adults, too. It is too easy to have an accident nowadays.