Current – The Debit Card for Kids and Teens

This is a sponsored post on behalf of Current. All thoughts and opinions are those of our own.

One of the more important decisions that we make as parents is when to allow our child to get a debit card.  Many parents I know wait until their child has their first job or starts driving.  However, a lot of times a child is mature enough to handle the responsibility prior to that.  Also, how do you know your child is ready?  My very mature 9 year old has been asking for a card of her own but her dad and I were unsure if she was ready for the responsibility.  We have found Current to be a great start for kids waiting to gain more independence and responsibility with money.

Current is a debit card which will allow your child to gain real world financial experience and will allow you to keep control of where the money goes.

Money is added to your child’s debit card using any bank account or financial institution.  This is great as parents can add money at any time, from anywhere.  You can easily pay your child for work around the house, or great grades without having to write or cash a check.  Divorced parents can also share the load and can both easily transfer money to their child, even if they live in different states.  You child can even request money from you for a one-time expense, like a school trip!

Current allows your child to use their card at any retailer.  You may then log in the app and see where they are spending their money.  You can also set restrictions on where their card will work so you know they are only spending money on allowed expenses.

Your child can also check and see where they are spending their money.  Current allows each user to have three “wallets”.  Each wallet has its own purpose.  There is the spending wallet for day to day expenses which is linked to the debit card for expenses.  There is also a savings wallet which helps kids put away money for a rainy day or save for a specific event.  The third wallet is the Giving wallet which allows your child to donate to thousands of local and national causes at the touch of a button.

Current is great for older kids and well into their teens.  Teaching your child to keep track of their money will help them for the rest of their lives.  Check out Current.com for more information and to sign up today!  You will be glad you did!

Connect with Current
Website | Facebook | Twitter | Sign Up Here

Have you ever thought about getting your child or teen a card of their own? What do you think about Current?

Disclosure: Everything Mommyhood was compensated for this post. All thoughts and opinions are those of our own and were not influenced in any way. If you would like to see your product/service/company featured on our blog, please contact us at EverythingMommyhood@gmail.com

Comments

1. This is a great idea to teach teens about money. I wish I knew about this when our daughter was younger. Now, as a college student, she has her own debit card with her own money. We tried to teach hear about money and she does ok.

This could be a great way to teach children about money. I am not sure at what age I would want a child to possess one of these cards.

3. Melissa Storms says:

This is a great idea. My young teen will go to his friends after school and besides the lessons that one of these debit cards can teach, it would also be an easy way for me to get money to him without driving the 20 miles.

4. nurselinda101 says:

I think this is a great idea for our children. They still need guidance and direction with this so they learn. Thank you so much for sharing this. God Bless

This is SUPER cool!! What a neat way to work on finances, do allowances and have a child be in control of their own money!! With your supervision 😉 Yay for no overdraft fees lol!!

6. This is a most excellent solution. I cannot thank you enough for the information. I will be checking into this over this week.

7. Jennifer A Rose says:

I really didn’t think this was a good idea till I read the article and now I think it’s a wonderful idea. What a great way to learn responsibility and also how the world works nowadays.

8. I’ve never heard of this card. It sounds like a great way to teach financial responsibility. Thanks for sharing!

9. Ashley Chassereau Parks says:

I’ve never heard of this before, but it is a neat concept. I’m trying to start teaching my girls financial responsibility now, but they are still very young, so I’m not sure I’m ready for them to have anything like this just yet.